Search This Blog

Friday, June 10, 2011

Weighing In

What is it about women that we measure our milestones by what we weighed at the time?  I know what I weighed when I got married, at the end of my pregnancy, at my heaviest and in college.  I centered my world around that specific goal; how many pounds I gained or lost on the scale and I felt good or bad depending on what it told me.  I look back on my honeymoon photos from 13 years ago and think, "I was fat" knowing that I weighed 14 pounds less than I do right now.  I'm not going to think this way anymore.  I am not "fat", I am getting "fit" and healthy and that is the new description for how I look and feel.  I'm not sure I can say yet that I am "fit", but that is now the goal.  It's nice to put a positive spin on something that I have been a slave to as long as I can remember.

I think many women can relate to this.  Being on Jenny Craig, I do weigh myself  periodically but not daily.  I also do my weekly weigh-in at the center and get measured every four weeks.  How great it was this week to see that 10.5 inches are gone - I wish we had measured my arms and thighs as well as it would have been even more. 

It doesn't help that I love to cook.  We keep mostly healthy foods in our house, but I was eating way too much and would eat without even thinking about it.  Now I know how much I can eat, how much I need to move my body and what my new jeans feel like when I put them on.  I'm hoping to buy the next size down within the month - and then I will be the weight I was at 25 years old.  I remember that one because I was working on the TV show "Picket Fences" and know that I wore a size 10 (but still used the "f" word to describe myself).

I feel good and I actually think about working out and then DO it!  I may not be running marathons, but I do some sort of activity every day, have lost half of the weight that I want to lose and I bought skinny jeans for the first time ever.  I'm still overweight, but I will never be "fat" again.  I am still trying to get in shape, but "fit" is my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment